Ladakh is a soul-stirring experience is what I have already said. Read about why should one visit Ladakh at least once in your lifetime here.
While driving on Ladakh roads, it is hard to find someone who has not noticed the captivating road signs that B.R.O (Border Roads Organisation) has put up. Reading the roadsigns along these remarkably scenic road is in truth an emotional journey. The bright yellow road signs written in clean black letters make your journey worthwhile. There are numerous signs along all highways in Ladakh. I have selected a few ( 73 phew ! ) of my favourite, at which I would like to look back again and again to relive my Ladakh experience.
Reading those signs is like travelling through phases of your own life and realising that LIFE means so much more. This is more of a photo blog that will take you to the magical trip of the witty, sensible, logical and poetic Road Signs in Ladakh!
73 Scintillating Roadsigns that you cannot miss seeing in Ladakh.
Signs number 5, 40, 64 and 68 are my personal favourite and seeing No 11 at one of the highest passes in India touched me the most. Read along and do comment which ones are your choice ? The list is long, I am aware; but this is a keepsake and a charger to your enthusiasm at any moment. I narrowed it down to 73 and just couldn’t do better. So Pin it or Read it. Im sure you won’t regret reaching to the bottom of this one !
1. Life is Limited Company with Unlimited Dreams
2. Always Alert Avoid Accident
3. जो बचाए अपना अंग, सारी दुनिया उसके संग ! (Whoever takes care of himself has the world with him)
4. Accident Hurts, Safety Doesn’t
5. Drive, Don’t Fly
6. Safety is the Light, Let it Shine
7. Life is a journey, Complete It
8. Safety on Road, ‘Safe Tea’ at Home. Drive Slow.
9. Check your nerves on my Curves
10. This is Highway not a Runway. Drive Slow
11. Kashmir to Kanyakumari, India is ONE
12. Speed is a Knife,That Cuts Life
13. Drive Slow to avoid Grave Below
14. Better Late than Never
15. सुंदर धरती सुंदर माटी कूड़ा कचरा इसमे दाग लगाती ( The earth is beautiful, the soil is beautiful, garbage puts stain on the beauty)
16. Drink and Drive, you won’t survive.
17. Alert Today Alive Tomorrow
18. More you Speed, more you Skid
19. Safety Begins with ME
20. BRO works today for your better tomorrow.
21. Help us to keep the roads clean and green.
22. Fast won’t Last
23.East or West, Safe Driving is the Best
24. कम बोलो धीरे बोलो मीठा बोलो (Talk less, talk soft, talk sweet)
25. Concern for others is Rule of Road.
26. Driving Risky after Whiskey
27. Think and Drive, Stay Alive.
28. You are not being chased
29. Speed and Safety Never Meets
30. Driving Faster can cause Disaster
31. Enjoy the beauty of nature.
32. जीवन का महत्व वो ही जाने सुरक्षा के नियम जो कोई माने (One who obeys safety rules understands the meaning of life)
33. No hurry no worry
34. No need for overspeed
35. Ladakh ki Shaan HIMANK
36. Good driver is seldom hurt
37. Safe Driving is Stress-free driving
38. Don’t be Gama in the Land of Lama
39. Anytime is Safety Time
40. Way of Worship may be different but God is one
41. Everyday is Earth Day
42. Wishing won’t keep you Safe, Safety Will
43. You are not in Rally Enjoy the Valley
44. Start Early, Drive Slowly, Reach Safely
45. Be Soft on my Curves
46. हमें अपने जवानों पर गर्व है (We are proud of our soldiers)
47. Caution and Care, make Accident Rare
48. Be Alert ! Accidents Hurt
49. Think Before you Pollute
50. Three Enemies of Road Liquor, Speed and Overload
51. We care for you Drive Slow.
52. Time is Money but Life is Precious
53. Think Clean
54. Border Roads Made a Way for your Bright Future
55. सुंदर देह में कालिख जैसे दाग लगाता कूड़ा कचरा धरती मा का शृंगार मिटाता ( Garbage thrown puts stains on mother Earth’s adornment)
56. Army and Ladakh, Together let us march ahead.
57. Speed Thrills but Often Kills
58. BRO men cut the hills, but join hearts
59. Safety First Speed Next
60. Mountains are pleasure if you drive with leisure
61. Be Clean Go green
62. Live for your today, Drive for your tomorrow
63. Road is a Public Property, Save it
64. “Tomorrow” – your reward for working safely Today
65. Great Responsive Engineering Fraternity
66. Incomparable Border Roads
67. You may be American or African but you are human being
68. Drive like Hell and you will be there
69. Chance Takers are Accident Makers
70. Safety First is Safety Always
71. Know Safety No Injury, No Safety Know Injury
72. Faster Spells Disaster
73. Never Give Up !
The photographs are taken from a fast moving SUV and I’m surprised that most of them have turned out to be pretty well. Each road sign is gifted with a scenic background which highlights its beauty. I am in awe with the apt usage of words and the subtlety of the road signs. Despite the difficult terrain, BRO has put up super smooth roads and the driving sense of locals is worth an applause. The respect given to the driver of another vehicle on the same road is worth learning from Ladakhi Locals. Tourists are spoiling the peace of the Ladakh roads by not following the road-safety rules. Sometimes I really wonder when will there be more sensitivity around people. Read more about it here
Road-signs in Ladakh is an experience and surely not to be missed. I wish these can be put up in busy cities and metros too which will make at least 1% impact on the senseless and rash drivers. Environment awareness is another topic brilliantly handled by BRO and is indeed a legacy to be carried forward all around our country. Ours is a beautiful country. I wish everyone gets the strength to take care of it.
Kashmir to Kanyakumari, INDIA is ONE ! Indeed !
(P.S. Please do not use any photos without permission)